Show Notes: Maps, Charts, and Timelines for the History in the Bible Podcast
I've prepared some charts, timelines and maps for listeners of the History in the Bible Podcast.
Tables, Timelines, and Charts
- Canons of the Old Testament. How many books are in the Old Testament? That depends who you ask. Episodes: 1.1 to 2.15.
- The Ten Commandments. How many commandments are in the Old Testament? Ten, actually. But what constitutes a commandment differs according to your religion. Episodes: 1.16 and 1.21.
- The Twelve Tribes of Israel. The Bible has many lists, all disagreeing. Episodes: 1.25 and on.
- Kings of Israel and Judah. A timeline and chart of the kings of Israel and Judah. Episodes 1.42 to 1.51.
- The Prophets of the Old Testament. From Elijah to Malachi, all the prophets and their dates. Episodes 1.44 to 2.13.
- The Ezra Muddle. We have books of Ezra and Esdras coming out of our ears. This table puts them in their place. Episode 2.3.
- The Maccabean Rulers. The dynasty of the Maccabees ruled for a century before collapsing into murder and mayhem. Episodes 2.12 to 2.15.
- The Kingdom of Herod and His Sons. Judea at the birth of Christianity. Episodes 2.15 to 2.20.
- Map of Ancient Canaan. A summary map showing most of the places I mention in series one of the podcast. Episodes: Series one.
- The Geopolitics of the Bible. A series of maps showing the international situation in the Biblical world, from the time of the patriarchs, to the end of the kingdom of Judah. Episodes 1.6 to 2.2.
- The Patriarchs in Canaan. Areas associated with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob/Israel. Episodes 1.10 to 1.12.
- In the Wilderness. The book of Numbers gives several different possibilities for the Israelites' wandering in the wilderness. Episode 1.19.
- The Conquest of Canaan. The book of Joshua presents a glowing picture of the Israelite's wars against the Canaanites. Episode 1.25.
- The Twelve Tribes of Israel. Episodes: 1.25 and on.
- Samuel and the House of Saul. The book of 1 Samuel gives us some idea of the extent of King Saul's chiefdom, the activities of the prophet Samuel, and the base of the future king David. Episode: 1.31.
- The Two Kingdoms. The two kingdoms of Israel and Judah. Episodes 1.42 to 1.51.
- Campaign of Pharoah Sheshonq I. The two new kingdoms of Israel and Judah were invaded by Egypt in their early years. Episode 1.43.
- The Province of Judea Under Persia and Greece. It was a very small place. Episodes 2.3 to 2.11.
- The Maccabean Conquests. The Maccabeans expanded the small province of Judea to a size not seen since Solomon. Episodes 2.12 to 2.15.
- The Kingdom of Herod. Episode 2.15.
- After Herod. After his death, Herod's kingdom was divided between his sons and the Romans. Episode 2.20.